Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Marathon Weekend.




This past weekend we went to Florida again. We went so Chad could participate in the Disney Marathon for the 4th time. He has been training all year to do this 26.2 mile race. I am so proud of him having the endurance to do these types of races. I have never been a runner. I really admire people who do it. I know you have to have a drive to be a runner. I have never had that drive. I know I need to exercise to keep my weight down but long distance running has never been my thing. So anyway back to Chad's big accomplishment.

He did the marathon this year with his mom and his sister, Kitty. Besides Chad accomplishing this amazing feat, this was Chad's mom's first marathon and Kitty just had a baby 3 months ago. Just amazing!!!! They all did an amazing job despite the Florida heat. This is my 3rd year spectating the race which is quite an adventure. The marathon course goes through all of the Disney parks and you have to get at certain viewing areas at just the right times so you can see your "runners". I managed to see Chad a couple of times and then at the finish. Joining me in the spectating adventure was Casey,Westin, Clinton and Amy. It is nice to have someone with you to chat with while you are waiting to see the amazing runners pass by. So hats off to Chad, Kitty, Pat and everyone else that did the marathon. I admire you!!
(p.s. Jess--I kept thinking you were going to come around that corner at mile 9-you were in my thoughts-miss you!!)

7 comments:

Jess Marie said...

What great pictures and an even greater accomplishment. The only thing missing in the picture is Amy! Oh yeah, and me!

Thanks for the sweet shout out! Sunday was a bit hard for me since i have been out there the past 3 years in a row and I thought of it ALL day long. Maybe in 2011 (when I return, I can run it again). :)

Miss you friend! I need your Skype address!

Jonatha said...

I'm a spectator as well... I would much rather ride my bike :) I'm glad you are back - I missed your blog!

ptamom3 said...

Love the pics- thanks for sharing!

justgottalaugh said...

looooove your new blog design. we're safely in nc and buckling down for the night. thanks for the marathon review :) i miss you already!!!

Texas Aggie in Florida said...

Okay, so your Kitty's sister or sister in law? I just met her last week when she was in FL. My husband is the children's pastor at Kitty and Jessica's former church.

Anyhoo, thought I'd return the visit!

And for the record, 26 miles in anything other than a car would be the death of me!

Anonymous said...

Steph, we were hoping to catch a glimpse of Chad and Kitty (and you too!) when you visited but I'm sure your weekend was full! Mike was a spectator at the 1/2 marathon on Saturday. Not too friendly..he says. 4 ladies from our run club did the goofy challenge. As you say "amazing". A bunch of the club members went and saw "Spirit of the Marathon" which is a movie that came out for 1 night only on Thursday, January 24 across the country. I believe there is another showing in February. It follows a few elite athletes and 4 other "common" people who have never done a marathon or who were marathoners. Its a great movie and shows the spirit of human kind -- mind over body.

a lotta joy said...

What a running crew you are related to! Well someone has to take the picture! We love you all -